Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Yoga and Scoliosis.

19th August, 2008.
Yoga for Scoliosis.

- I felt some pain in my lower latissims dorsi (the left side.) This is the pain that I associate with the scoliosis. It is not actually in the latissimus dorsi, but in that region of the ribcage. I normally experience that when I doing dishes, or something that involves having my elbows beside my ribcage, and arms from the elbows out in front of me.
- There is only a slight 'wiggle' in my lower spine.


A short while into the yoga asana I felt nauseous, and my ribs are feeling a little achy, or perhaps it is that they feel 'tight.' Later on I also note that I am feeling a little nackerd. Perhaps I am spending to long in each yoga asana? During the yoga asana I worked on deep breathing from the tummy to the top of the ribcage.


I feel like I have had a hard workout, and I can't say that I feel invigorated at all. The only new things that I did to the 'set' was to add the Sarvangasana cycle which I have done with other sets.


How much is too much? Though this session went by without any sense of it being long, it still took two and a half hours. In terms of my regular yoga asana practice, this is the longer session of the lot (there are seven 'sessions'.) Given that though, it is still getting lengthy.


I know that as a yoga teacher I am 'sharpening' my knowledge of my discipline. That I need to work to keep my vocation fresh. I do worry that by doing to much, I may find that I have to stop for a while (due to 'burnout'.) Were that to happen that would neither good for my yoga discipline nor for my scoliosis. The trick is finding the nice medium. As the time spent in each asana gets longer the whole session gets longer.


As a rule my yoga asana practice runs from one and a half to two hours per session. When I add pranayama it is longer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to a picture of tadasana :) That's nice.

I could've written that little blurb on tadasana myself! I've observed those very kind of things ... about how when alignment is correct the flow of energy is palpable. I,also have noticed that how the bubbling well point in the foot creates a better connected flow of energy.
Thanks for sharing. Lynne