Sunday, August 3, 2008

Surya Namaskar (thoughts along the way.)

Firstly, I am not setting myself up as some type of expert on this subject, just a yogi looking for some answers. :)

I practice Surya Namaskar almost every morning now. I find that my body enjoys it, and that it is invigorating. On that level it is very good and serves a satisfies purpose.

However I do not find that I get the spiritual (if you will) nourishment that I do with traditional non-flow Hatha Yoga. Where you may hold each asana for several minuets. There are yogis and yoginies [spl?.] I know who love practising Surya Namaskar. I am not there yet. I suppose in part it is that I have been doing traditional non-flow Hatha Yoga for almost thirty years. Where as I have only been doing Surya Namaskar for just over a year.

Surya Namaskar has a long and well establish tradition. I would like to learn more about it as I journey along. It is not something which I am going to let go of now that it is a part of my practice.

One thing that does worry me is the increased risk of injury. As one transitions from one asana to another there is a much greater risk of injuring oneself. I know that it is posable to injure oneself getting in and out of an asana in traditional non-flow yoga. There is a difference though. In the traditional method (as I have been taught, and practice) after the completion of an asana one returns to Tadasana, pausing for a moment then moving on to the next asana.

The important point being that you pause. It is at the point of the pause that your nervous system takes in what has just happened to 'it', and what is now going on with your body. The body and mind store the information for the next time you practice the posture. Then you move on to the next asana. If you are constantly moving from one asana to another, does that process happen? I don't know?

If during a 'flow' (because of the nature of flow, you may hold the asana for only a breath of two before moving on) you have place yourself structurally incorrectly and you move then onto another asana don't you run a greater chance of hurting yourself?

If any one who reads this has any thoughts, please let me know.

No comments: