Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Yoga and Scoliosis.

16th September, 2006.
Using Hatha Yoga to help my Scoliosis.

I started this morning with Surya Namaskar. I worked with my breathing and adjusted my ribs during the practice. All in all it was not very satisfying this morning, but it was ok. Well there are days like that. Just move on.


I began my Hatha Yoga session today with a slight "C" in my lower spine. In the work that I am doing to use Hatha Yoga to help with the scoliosis. I am adjusting my ribs by moving them mentally, not by moving my shoulders up and down. With my right side I am moving my ribcage upward, and my left ribcage is moved downward. From time to time I have felt nauseous during the practice, and occasionally after the practice is over. If as happens from time to time, I have to miss a few days of working on my scoliosis. I find that my left rib cage aches quite a bit.



Among the asanam I worked with today were:

A long Uttanasana with my head resting on blocks. This left me feeling rather cool when I had finished. I made an effort to breath deeply and to adjust my ribs while in this asana. It was not that easy. Especially the deep breathing.

While in Utthita Parsvakonasana I felt a little nauseous, especially while working on my left ribs.


As I moved through my practice today the "C" slowly diminished. At the end of the session I rounded it off with the Sarvangasana Cycle. I noticed that my ribs now seemingly move easily.

This session took me about 2.5 hours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping this journal on your work w/ scoliosis ... you asked on twitter for input for making it better ... what would really help me is imported pictures of the postures you're using. Surely, as an x-geek this would not be TOO hard! :)
I'll keep reading tho even if I do have to google some of the asana names. Thanks again. Lynne