Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Yoga and Scoliosis Experiment.

I have scoliosis and I have been doing a bit of an experiment on my self. I have a rather mild form of Thoracic Scoliosis. Though I have always gotten a burning sensation in my ribs (on the left side of the spine) I took it to be a torn muscle or cramp. As the pain comes and goes depending on activity, I did not think to much about it. It was not until I was studying to become a Yoga teacher that I found out about the scoliosis.

Last year I was given a copy of Elise B. Millers video on Yoga for Scoliosis. I used the information on the tape along with the suggestions given to me by my teacher Deborah Perry ( http://www.yogacenterofjackson.com/index.php who first told me I had scoliosis) for many months. During this time I found relief form the pain of the Scoliosis. After using Hatha Yoga to work on the Scoliosis for a while. I decided to stop using the adjustments that I had added to my yoga practice. I wanted to see if I could just use my normal practice to maintain the alignment in my spine and ribcage. Well it has now been about three months since I stopped making the adjustments to my spine. Over time I have felt the pain slowly creep back. At first it was very slight. Then today while I was making naan with my 4 year old the pain hit me full force. Well at least I know...

No comments: