Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Wrangling with arm balances.

6th October, 2008.


The day started with Surya Namaskar and a
  • Virabhadrasana III balancing flow. Now that I have been working on the balancing flow for a few weeks. I find that I can maintain both sides quite well. Though there are days when I wobble about like a straw in an empty bottle.


    In the afternoon I was able to find time to practice Hatha Yoga. My lunch was digested and my (almost) four year old was napping. I started out with Surya Namaskar and a Virabhadrasana III flow. This is not the way that I normally begin my Hatha Yoga sessions, but I wanted something different to begin with. Normally I have a series of standing asanam that I work on. I was just about to start on arm balances when I heard "Daddy, Daddy!" Well that was the end of that...


    Late on in the day my daughter had a tumbling class, so I had a little time. I began with Surya Namaskar and the Virabhadrasana III flow. I quite enjoy the standing balancing asanam now. There are times when I wobble about a bit. They do give me a lovely feeling of accomplishment. These asanam also help me find more spots to work on.


    After gathering all of the props (mainly pillows :) ) I began the arm balances. These still need more work. Generally I do not fall on my face any more, but from time to time, I still do.

  • Lolasana. This went quite well, and felt nice. I was able to breath into my upper back, filling my lungs.

  • Vasisthasana. I was able to manage the deep breathing into my back, but I could not manage to put my leg into the air. The arm yes, the leg no! :)

  • Astavakrasana. This did not go as well as the last time (yesterday). The right side was very wobbly. The left side was not too bad. On both sides I was able to extend my legs. However the right side did not feel as strong.

  • Bhujapidasana. This went rather well, and it was fun. I did have a pillow behind just in case. I was also able to breathe deeply into my upper back.

  • Bakasana. Bakasana is coming along nicely. This used to be my least favourite asana. Mainly because I would always pinch my skin on the back of my arms... quite unpleasant. Yesterday I was able to avoid doing that. I hope to repeat that today. I also was able to breath deeply into my back.

  • Parsva Bakasana.> This also needs work. The right side went well, but the left side was rubbish. No back breathing going on.


    After the arm balances, I follow on with a series of twists. I was able to breath deeply. As I have scoliosis I have to adjust my ribs when I twist my torso. My left side is stiffer, or less free then my right side. At the end of the twists I worked on the Sarvangasana Cycle. I was able to include the deep back breathing in this cycle.

  • No comments: